Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cutty Sark Scotch Whiskey

I was out drinking with a buddy last week when I spotted a bottle behind the bar.  It drew my attention because of its name and the tall ship pictured on its label: the Cutty Sark.  I had heard about the Cutty Sark from of the Dire Straits' song, "Single-Handed Sailor", one of my favorite songs by that great band.  So after a few beers and in a more romantic---in the single-handedly-sailing-around-the-world sense---demeanor I was more than willing to try a shot of whatever libation was in that particular bottle.  I was glad to find out it was whiskey, something I've been known to be partial to!

This was in a college-town type bar, so I don't think the bartender was really used to whiskey drinkers.  She gave me a blank stare when I walked up to her and told her "My friend and I would like a shot of the Cutty Sark!"  Now, if you walk up to a bar like that, with single-minded purpose, this somehow disturbs the harmony of the place a bit.  People come to her counter, sit by and wait to be served.  We just walked straight up to the counter, stood there in front of her until she acknowledged us, and just told her what we wanted, much like a sailboat captain would to a ship's first---"Have the jib brought in, Mr. Dillon, would you kindly."  Her confusion and lack of context were amusing there, but were much unlike the knowing efficiency of a professional who loves their trade.  She wouldn't do in any ship of mine.  The poor thing actually said, "we don't have that."  I retorted directly, "sure you do, the bottle right over there."  Her confusion only got worse when I asked her to bring me the bottle, which apparently is against the rules!  There's something thoroughly pasteurized and unromantic about a bartender being uncomfortable about such a request.  But I digress.  We got our shots, downed them on the spot, payed up, and left.  As I turned I actually told her something like "I wanted to try it because of the Dire Straits' song."  She just looked at us, very uncertain about any of this.  Sad.  We left knowing that those people had no business running a bar.

So, how's the Cutty Sark?  Romanticism aside, this is no high-end whiskey.  I'm not a whiskey snob by any means, but I tend to find that bourbon has a more honest feel to it at the lower-price tiers (though I've yet to try the truly cheap stuff).  The old Cutty Sark blended Scotch I had that night was a bit rough for Scotch whiskey, but without the more complex finish of a good American bourbon.  I should also say that we didn't really give it a fair shake.  Take this tasting experience for what it was: sharing grog with a mate.

Cutty Sark is a blended Scotch whiskey made in Glasgow.

1 comment: